I started this painting in October 2014. It began as a yellow marsh scene, then turned into bright orange marsh scene, and I probably changed it majorly about 10 times, but just couldn't get it right. I hadn't painted at all since 2006, so I didn't have my flow back, but I kept working at it. One day in November 2015, I had a moment of desperation and completely wiped out the whole painting and covered it with layers of blue and violet. The next day, from who knows where, I got the idea to paint a dragonfly on the blue background. I almost cried with joy - as I could see it was going to be beautiful! I then spent at least 40 more hours perfecting it.